WASHINGTON – The legal team representing Christine Blasey Ford, who alleged she was sexually assaulted by Supreme Court nominee Judge Brett Kavanaugh, said Wednesday that the FBI did not contact her after the investigation against him was reopened.
“We are profoundly disappointed that after the tremendous sacrifice she made in coming forward, those directing the FBI investigation were not interested in seeking the truth,” the lawyers said in a statement.
“An FBI supplemental background investigation that did not include an interview of Dr Christine Blasey Ford – nor the witnesses who corroborate her testimony – cannot be called an investigation,” the statement added.
US media reported that the FBI delivered to the White House on Wednesday the result of the investigation, which was reopened last week with testimonies of Ford and Kavanaugh before the Senate.
At the hearing, Ford said that she was sure Kavanaugh had tried to rape her in the summer of 1982.
According to The Wall Street Journal, sources familiar with the case said the White House has found no evidence backing Ford’s allegations against the Supreme Court nominee in the FBI report.
The White House will need to hand over the FBI report to the Senate, which will study it before continuing with the procedural vote on Kavanaugh’s nomination, scheduled to begin on Friday.
A final confirmation vote could take place on Saturday at the soonest or Sunday, according to US media.