|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | USA

US Says 522 Immigrant Children Back with Families as Protests Continue

WASHINGTON – The United States announced Saturday that it has reunited 522 immigrant children with their families who were separated after crossing the Mexican border, in what is the first tangible consequence of the executive decree signed by the US President.

The Department of Homeland Security released a statement which also gives some details on its plan to reunite immigrant families that were separated as a result of the “zero tolerance” policy of Donald Trump, which began to be implemented in April.

According to the statement, up until 20 June the Department of Health and Human Services had 2,053 minors in their custody, although only 17 percent of whom were separated from their parents while the remaining 83 percent were children who travelled alone to the US.

A group of Democratic Congressmen from Florida on Saturday visited a shelter for undocumented immigrants in Homestead, south of Miami, and reported it to be in good condition.

Following the visit and during a meeting with the press outside the center, the Congressmen said that the question now was when the 70 children living in the center, after getting separated from their parents at the border, will be reunited with their families.

Senator Bill Nelson, part of the group, pointed out that the staff of the center, which has a total of about 1,200 undocumented children between 13 and 17 years of age, have informed him that the vast majority of the 70 children have been able to speak on the phone with their parents, which was “good news.”

Hundreds of protesters were also gathering outside the Homestead Temporary Shelter for Unaccompanied Children, holding placards saying “Where are the children” and placing teddy bears and other toys at the site.

In San Diego, southern California, some 5,000 people gathered on Saturday to protest against the immigration policy and the separation of seized families at the border.

According to an epa photographer on the scene, protesters were heard shouting “Where is humanity?” and “Shame,” while marching to the offices of US Immigration and Customs Enforcement to express their opposition to the treatment of immigrants and refugees by the current Trump administration.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2019 © All rights reserved