|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | USA

US Sends Coffins to Inter-Korean Border for Remains of Soldiers

SEOUL The United States army sent on Saturday 100 wooden coffins to the inter-Korean border to bring back the remains of American soldiers killed during the Korean War (1950-1953) from North Korea.

The boxes are likely to be stored in the joint security area along the inter-Korean border before they are sent to North Korea in the coming days, Yonhap agency reported, citing a US official in South Korea.

The US army also dispatched 158 metallic coffins from Yongsan base in Seoul to the Osan base in Gyeonggi province.

Sending back remains of the American soldiers was a part of the declaration signed during the summit between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un on June 12 in Singapore, in which they also agreed on denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.

Last week, Trump had said in an interview to Fox News that the procedure for getting back the remains had been started.

More than 36,000 US troops had died in the Korean War and nearly 7,700 were reported missing.

Joint teams from the US and North Korea had recovered 229 bodies between 1996-2005; however, Washington suspended the search program due to deterioration of ties between the two countries.

In 2007, Pyongyang had handed over six more bodies to the US.

Earlier this week, sources in the Pentagon said the remains, on reaching the US, would be taken to military installations in Nebraska or Hawaii for identification.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2019 © All rights reserved