|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | USA

Deadly New York Blaze Caused by Child Playing with Stove

NEW YORK – The fire that ripped through an apartment building in New York, killing 12 people, appears to have been caused by a youngster who was playing with a stove, New York’s Mayor Bill de Blasio said on Friday.

“What we think at this point is that it unfortunately emanated from an accident, a young child playing with a stove on the first floor of the building,” De Blasio said during his weekly radio show on WNYC.

The blaze at the five-story building in the Bronx began at around 6:50 pm Thursday and spread rapidly.

De Blasio suggested that the death toll could rise.

“We’ve lost 12 people. We could lose more. There are some still fighting for their lives,” the mayor said of what he had earlier described as “the worst fire tragedy we have seen in this city in a quarter century.”

Four children were among the victims, the youngest just a year old.

“Our hearts go out to every family who lost a loved one here and everyone fighting for their lives,” fire commissioner Daniel Nigro said.

More than 160 firefighters battled the flames, according to the Fire Department of New York.

Questions arose about possible shortcomings in fire-safety measures at the building, which was built more than a century ago, but De Blasio said that authorities had found no evidence of a problem.

“It does not appear that there was anything problematic about the building or the fire safety in the building. It seems like a horrible, tragic accident,” he said.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2018 © All rights reserved