GUATEMALA CITY – The death toll in last week’s fire at a children’s shelter in Guatemala has risen to 40, authorities reported on Sunday.
The director of the Roosevelt Hospital, Carlos Soto, said that on Sunday morning another patient died from serious burns suffered during the blaze.
Authorities said that 19 children died last Wednesday from carbon monoxide poisoning inside the Virgen de la Asuncion shelter, which is managed by the executive branch’s Social Welfare Secretariat.
Eleven other burn victims died while being treated at the San Juan de Dios General Hospital.
On his official Twitter account, the Roosevelt Hospital chief said that two more fire victims have been placed on ventilators, four are in stable condition and five have been released.
On Saturday, another fire survivor died in the same health center.
Four of the children who survived the blaze were taken by air ambulance overnight to a hospital in Galveston, Texas.
Guatemalan President Jimmy Morales said that the government bears partial responsibility for the tragedy, while several social sectors have been calling for justice in the deaths of the children at the shelter.