TEGUCIGALPA – Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez on Monday announced changes in his Cabinet which, in part, come because the officials who are leaving the body want to devote themselves to political activities or are departing for personal reasons.
At a press conference, Hernandez said that in 2017, which will be one of election activity in Honduras, he will place “priority on government action” and those who want to devote themselves to political activity must do so with no connection to the administration.
He added that the changes will begin to be implemented this week and that the first new official to be sworn in was the deputy minister of defense, Fredy Diaz Zelaya.
The president said that the officials who will leave their posts include the ministers of defense, Samuel Reyes; infrastructure and public services, Roberto Ordoñez; and health, Yolany Batres.
Other top officials who are leaving include Strategy and Communications Minister Hilda Hernandez and the deputy minister of justice and human rights, Karla Cueva, the latter “for personal reasons.”
Hernandez, who will seek reelection to the presidency with the National Party in the Nov. 26 general election, did not say whom he will appoint to fill the soon-to-be-vacant posts in his government during the last year of his four-year term, which will commence on Jan. 27.
The president also announced that the country’s new ambassador to the United States will be Marlon Tabora, who to date has been coordinator of the Economic Cabinet and Honduras’s representative to the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB).
While carrying out his ambassadorial duties, Tabora will continue to be the Washington-based Honduran representative before the IDB, the president added.