LA PAZ – Bolivian President Evo Morales inaugurated an $86 million thermoelectric plant built as a joint venture between Bolivian and Venezuelan state-run companies.
In a ceremony Thursday in the central town of Entre Rios, Morales hailed the project as one of the biggest achievements of the first six months of his second term in office.
The leftist leader said the plant will help ensure the supply of electricity in the Andean nation, adding that from now on Bolivia will strive to more effectively exploit its natural resources with the goal of exporting electricity to neighboring countries.
The plant is 60 percent owned by Bolivia’s state-owned Empresa Nacional de Electricidad, with Petroleos de Venezuela SA holding the remaining 40 percent stake.
Output from the 100 MW plant will cover roughly 10 percent of nationwide electricity consumption. EFE