LA PAZ A Bolivian man died of an electric shock received while trying to install lights on a Christmas tree sent to him as a gift by friends in the United States, the press reported Friday.
Fernando Melgar Ruiz, 22, was electrocuted at his home in the eastern city of Santa Cruz, El Mundo daily said.
His sister, Teresa, told reporters that Fernando was delighted with the gift and asked her to open a bottle of cider so they could toast the tree.
We had a drink. He noticed that he needed a transformer because (the lights) of the little tree were of a lower voltage, and he went to my room to take one (transformer) from where my appliances were installed, she said.
Fernando received a shock when he grabbed the transformer and was dead by the time he reached the hospital. Media outlets said it appears he was standing barefoot on a damp floor at the time of the electrocution. EFE