UNITED NATIONS – Cuba denied on Friday at the United Nations that any evidence has yet been found of the alleged acoustic attacks against US diplomats on the island.
“Cuba has never perpetrated nor will it ever perpetrate actions of this sort,” Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez said during a high-level debate Friday of the UN General Assembly.
Last Sept. 17, US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson announced that his country was considering closing its embassy in Habana in response to that alleged acoustic attacks, which occurred late last year.
According to Tillerson, what he calls “health attacks” have caused health problems to some 20 Americans, mostly diplomats. Medical reports speak of slight brain trauma and loss of hearing.
Rodriguez said with reference to those charges that Havana lives up to its obligations under the Vienna Convention with all seriousness and protects all diplomats without exception, including those from the US.
The minister denied Cuban responsibility for those health problems and said that “Cuba has never allowed nor will it ever allow its territory to be used by third parties with that purpose.”
Rodriguez said that, according to the investigations carried out, “Cuban authorities... have so far found no evidence whatsoever that could confirm the causes or the origin of the health disorders referred to by US diplomats and their relatives.”
“The investigation to clarify this issue continues,” he said, “and in order to be able to arrive to a conclusion, it will be crucial to rely on the cooperation of the US authorities.”
“It would be unfortunate if a matter of this nature is politicized,” Rodriguez said.