|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Cuba

Cuban Migrants with Bullet Wounds Say Cuban Gunmen Tried to Steal Their Raft

MIAMI – Two of the seven Cuban migrants with bullet wounds who were rescued on the weekend along with other rafters near Key West said on Monday in Miami that a group of gunmen fired at them in Cuba trying to steal their raft.

At a press conference at Miami’s Jackson Memorial Hospital, Denny Rumbaut and his wife Yarelys Rios, who is 16 weeks pregnant, said that, despite the attack, the group – made up of 26 people – decided to take to the sea from the coast in Matanzas province and try to make it to the United States.

The woman said that they could not remain in Cuba because they did not know how the people who fired at them would react, and her husband said that “they came down from the hills” when the group was boarding their raft to set sail.

Rios denied claims that the wounded people had shot themselves so that if the U.S. Coast Guard intercepted them at sea they would not be repatriated to Cuba immediately.

She said that she would never have done anything that would risk the life of her unborn child.

Rumbaut and Rios, dressed in hospital gowns, said that before this trip he had tried 11 times to travel to the United States and she had tried three times, adding that they wanted to leave Cuba for economic reasons.

The 26 Cubans were discovered on their raft by the Coast Guard on Saturday in Key West just as they were trying to land.

Of the seven people with bullet wounds, six were taken to South Florida hospitals for medical treatment. The seventh did not need to be hospitalized.

The Coast Guard says that, so far this fiscal year, which began on Oct. 1, 2,562 Cubans have been intercepted in the Florida Strait.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2018 © All rights reserved