|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Chile

Chilean Women Mount Hunger Strike to Demand Jobs

SANTIAGO – Thirty-three women occupying a defunct coal mine in southern Chile to protest the end of temporary jobs created after an earthquake devastated the region in February are now on hunger strike, spokespersons for the group said Wednesday.

The women are seeking talks with the Catholic archbishop of Concepcion, Ricardo Ezzati, and Bio Bio regional governor Jacqueline van Rysselberghe, Jorge Orellana told journalists at the entrance to the Chiflon del Diablo mine in Lota.

He said the protesters want their temporary employment reinstated through an amendment to Chile’s 2011 budget.

The vicar of the Archdiocese of Concepcion, Jose Cartes, visited the women Wednesday and assured them that Ezzati is working on their behalf.

Dozens of people remained outside the mine entrance to show their support for the protest.

The women whose jobs were eliminated Nov. 4 decided that 33 of them would occupy the mine to draw a parallel with the case of the 33 miners rescued last month after spending 70 days trapped in a gold mine in northern Chile.

The miners, known as the “Atacama 33,” have been feted both at home and abroad since the dramatic rescue, which was watched on television by tens of millions of people around the world.

The protesters were employed under an emergency program launched after the magnitude-8.8 earthquake that caused more than 400 deaths and roughly $30 billion in damage across a broad area of south and central Chile.

Some 8,000 people were left unemployed when the program ended in the Bio Bio and Maule regions on Nov. 4, following the elimination of another 9,500 temporary jobs in the O’Higgins region.

Interior Minister Rodrigo Hinzpeter urged the 33 women on hunger strike to reconsider their protest and said they were “lucky” to have had jobs for a few months.

While the governor of Concepcion region, Carlos Gonzalez, told Radio Cooperativa the women’s protest was being orchestrated by Lota municipal chief of staff Vasili Carrillo, a one-time guerrilla who battled the 1973-1990 dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet.

“We are going through a very difficult phase and we are reaching the ultimate consequences. This is what the government really wants to see, because they haven’t listened to us, they haven’t opened the doors to us,” protest spokesperson Ivannia Anabalon said.

The Chiflon del Diablo mine was the main employer in the area until the local coal industry shut down in the early 1990s due to high production costs. EFE
 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2020 © All rights reserved