SANTIAGO – The Chilean government raised to 23 the death toll following last week’s storms and subsequent floods in the north of the country.
At least 57 others are still missing.
Information released on Tuesday by the national director of National Emergency Office, Ricardo Toro, also revealed 22,381 people have been displaced, from the regions of Atacama, Antofagasta and Coquimbo.
Toro said the armed forces are distributing humanitarian aid in affected areas, as was promised by President Michelle Bachelet.
The Intendant of Atacama, Miguel Vargas Correa, and the Ministerial Regional Secretary for Education, Pilar Soto Rivas, announced that normal classes will resume for schools in Caldera, Vallenar, Freirina and Huasco as of Wednesday.
The Deputy Secretary of Telecommunications said that internet and telephone services have been restored to the region.