BUENOS AIRES – Former President Cristina Fernandez was named Friday as a potential defendant in a corruption case centered on her family’s property company, Los Sauces, Argentine judicial sources told EFE.
Federal Judge Claudio Bonadio summoned Fernandez to testify with an eye toward charging her with money laundering and bribery.
The Los Sauces investigation started last year after lawmaker Margarita Stolbizer accused Fernandez and her two adult children of illicit enrichment and falsification of public documents.
Los Sauces was established in 2006 by Fernandez and her late husband, then-President Nestor Kirchner, along with the couple’s son, Maximo.
On Dec. 15, Bonadio placed Los Sauces under the control of a court-appointed administrator and excluded Maximo Kirchner, now a congressman, from managing the family’s assets.
Previously, the magistrate had ordered an appraisal of Los Sauces’ properties and several searches of company offices, followed later by a request to the US Department of Justice for information about a bank account once belonging to Maximo Kirchner.
Stolbizer claims Los Sauces was used to launder kickbacks from construction firms that benefited from lucrative public works contracts during Nestor Kirchner’s 2003-2007 tenure and the two presidential terms of Fernandez.
Fernandez, already facing charges in two other cases, says prosecutors and judges are engaged in a politically motivated campaign against her.