BUENOS AIRES – The organizer of the electronic music festival where five young people died after allegedly consuming designer drugs in Buenos Aires turned himself in to the judicial authorities on Wednesday, defense attorneys said.
The attorney for Adrian Conci, Fernando Burlando, told the media at the courthouse entrance that authorities are “trying to (assign blame) among businessmen instead of among drug traffickers.”
“(Conci) organized the festival and the issue of drugs is something very different,” he said.
The magistrate in charge of the case, Sebastian Casanello, had ordered authorities to arrest Conci, the owner of the Dell Producciones company, on April 18 for his alleged responsibility regarding the sale of drugs at the festival, but the whereabouts of the accused remained unknown until Wednesday.
His defense attorney had asked for him not to be jailed, but the Appeals Court confirmed Casanello’s ruling on Tuesday.
Therefore, early on Wednesday, Conci turned himself in at the federal courthouse in the Argentine capital.
Regarding the investigation, which points to the fact that festival tickets were sold in far greater numbers than the legal capacity of the venue, the lawyer said that this is a “minor matter” and that, like many things, it is an “offense” but not a “crime.”
At the Time Warp electronic music festival on April 16, five young men ages 20-25 died after apparently taking synthetic drugs.
In addition, three other festival-goers remain hospitalized and there has been no public word on the condition of a fourth, who was hospitalized that same day.
About 30 people have been indicted in the case, together with several members of the municipal government and of the private security firm employed to maintain order at the festival, and the courts last week ordered any public or private event in Buenos Aires in which the Time Warp organizers are participating to be suspended as a precaution.