NEW YORK – The Spanish government offered Mexican authorities on Wednesday any aid they need for rescue tasks after the devastating earthquake that killed more than 200 people and injured hundreds more earlier in the week.
The aid offer was transmitted by Spanish Foreign Minister Alfonso Dastis to Mexico’s chief diplomat, Luis Videgaray, during a breakfast attended by Ibero-American foreign ministers held at United Nations headquarters in New York within the framework of the ongoing General Assembly meeting.
Videgaray asked for specialized equipment to remove rubble and locate people under the ruins and Dastis expressed Spain’s “full support” and said that Madrid is already working on that, officials with the Spanish delegation told EFE.
Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy on Wednesday sent a telegram to Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto in which he expressed his “great sadness” over the devastating quake and offered Spain’s cooperation.
According to the most recent – albeit still preliminary – information provided by Mexican authorities, the powerful quake that rocked central Mexico measured 7.1 on the Richter scale, killed at least 225 people and injured almost 1,000.
The temblor, which struck at 1:14 pm, caused at least 39 buildings to collapse in Mexico City, where rescue teams on Wednesday were ceaselessly continuing their work to look for possible survivors under the ruins.
Mexico City Mayor Miguel Angel Mancera said that many people had been rescued alive from amid the wreckage but emergency crews were continuing with their work since the majority of collapsed buildings are thought to have people who may have survived buried under the rubble.