GUADALAJARA, Mexico – Nine people, including five children, died in a house fire in Guadalajara, the capital of the western Mexican state of Jalisco, emergency services officials said.
“What we found are the bodies of nine people, four adults and five children” between the ages of 8 and 15, Guadalajara emergency services and fire department chief Felipe de Jesus Lopez told reporters.
The two-story house in the Lomas de Independencia district was home to three families, but only three of the 12 people living at the property survived the blaze, Lopez said.
The bodies of the parents, who were between 52 and 54, were found in an upstairs bedroom, while another adult and three children died in a second bedroom.
The charred bodies of the fourth adult and two children were found in the third bedroom.
One of the survivors, a 24-year-old man, told emergency services personnel that he woke up, smelled smoke and managed to get his brothers out of the house, Lopez said.
“They heard their parents calling to them, but they couldn’t do anything because everything was on fire, and they decided to go out a window, which is what saved them,” the fire chief said.
A short-circuit in the electric meter may have caused the fire, the survivors said.
Guadalajara emergency services and fire department personnel, however, have not ruled out the possibility that the fire was caused by an improperly used candle.
The bodies were taken to the coroner’s office for identification, while the survivors are being treated for burns and smoke inhalation at a public hospital.