MEXICO CITY – Mexican authorities found additional human remains at the site of a mass grave in the central municipality of Jojutla that yielded up 45 bodies last month, the Morelos state Attorney General’s Office said on Tuesday.
Since the start Monday of the second phase of exhumations forensic teams discovered “six deposits with skeletonized bodies,” according to the state AG Office, which is overseeing the effort.
In contrast with other mass graves discovered in Mexico in recent years, the bodies buried at the clandestine site in Jojutla were put there by the authorities, not organized crime.
Officials originally expected to find 35 bodies, but the initial phase of the excavation unearthed the remains of 34 people.
The recovery teams will take DNA samples from all the bodies and police will investigate to determine the circumstances of each death, Morelos Attorney General Javier Perez told a press conference.
Investigators will also seek to clarify how the remains ended up in the clandestine grave, he said.
Authorities were also responsible for the placement of 119 bodies unearthed last year from two mass graves in Tetelcingo, Morelos.
Taking part in the Jojutla effort are personnel from the federal Attorney General’s Office, the Federal Police forensics division and the Autonomous University of Morelos (UAEM).
A report published last August by UAEM researchers illustrated how the discovery of the clandestine graves in Tetelcingo uncovered not just grave irregularities committed by the authorities, but what amounted to a procedure for “disappearing” people.
Six of the bodies recovered from Tetelcingo have been identified as people reported as missing.