QUITO – A group representing Ecuador’s indigenous people rejected Tuesday night the application of a partial ban on public access to areas around state buildings and installations, in what they called a “curfew” and considered a dictatorial measure in the face of anti-government protests.
The Confederation of Indigenous Nationalities of Ecuador said the government had been weakened and that these types of decisions demonstrated its inability to resolve the situation.
The government is demonstrating its “debacle and the authorities’ inability to respond to social mobilization and resistance movements,” the group said in a statement.
President Lenin Moreno’s government issued a decree Tuesday restricting free movement and assembly in areas surrounding state institutions and strategic facilities from 8:00 pm to 5:00 am for as long as the state of emergency lasts.
“We denounce the dimension of this measure, in the style of a military dictatorship, we alert international human rights organizations of what this may cause,” the group said.
Since Thursday, riots and protests have taken place countrywide following economic measures adopted by the government such as the withdrawal of the fuel subsidies.
The indigenous movement also confirmed that it will continue the national mobilization against the measures.
The Ecuadorian president unexpectedly left the presidential headquarters in the historic center of Quito on Monday for Guayaquil, where the government has been established temporarily in light of the security situation.
The seat of parliament was taken for approximately one hour by protesters from indigenous sectors, who from the first hour concentrated in a park in Quito on the eve of a large rally scheduled for Wednesday against the government’s economic reform.
On Monday, a group stormed the headquarters of the Comptroller General of the State in Quito, where they caused damage.