QUITO – Rescue teams on Wednesday found the body of another person evidently killed in a landslide during this week’s earthquake in northern Quito, Ecuadorian Interior Minister Jose Serrano said.
The death toll from Tuesday’s earthquake thus rose to three – two adults and a 4-year-old boy – Serrano said in a Twitter post.
The latest body was found in a pit filled with water in the Catequilla quarry, where the body of another quake victim had been found on Tuesday.
Serrano toured the zone affected by several landslides, where firefighters, the Red Cross, a police search and rescue unit and soldiers aided by trained dogs were working.
Quito Mayor Mauricio Rodas also visited the area and told Radio Democracia that citizens should stay calm amid the aftershocks from the temblor.
Up until the early hours on Wednesday, authorities had registered a total of 42 aftershocks associated with Tuesday’s magnitude-5.1 earthquake, which had lasted 45 seconds, the mayor said.
Quito city authorities on Tuesday night declared an emergency in several rural districts affected by the quake.
The districts of Pomasqui, Guayllabamba, Calacali, San Antonio de Pichincha, Puellaro and Calderon declared emergency zones to facilitate the dispensation of aid to those affected there, the mayor said.
“With the emergency declaration we’re facilitating aid efforts and the evacuation of people who are at risk in Catequilla,” the hill where the landslide resulting from the quake occurred, Rodas said in a Twitter post.