BANGKOK – Myanmar authorities raised the death toll from the outbreak of the H1N1 swine flu virus to three, state media reported on Thursday.
The Ministry of Health confirmed on Wednesday the death of a 43-year-old fisherman from the Ayeyarwady region who was being treated in a hospital in Yangon, according to the Global New Light of Myanmar newspaper.
A 25-year-old man and a pregnant 29-year-old woman also died on Monday after they contracted the virus, which the ministry said has infected 20 people.
The ministry also confirmed four new cases of H1N1 in Yangon, including one patient at the children’s hospital in the township of Yankin, and another 10 cases in the northeast Chin state.
The newspaper said Myanmar has not suffered an H1N1 outbreak since the global swine flu pandemic in 2009, when the virus infected dozens of people in the country.
Myanmar’s livestock ministry on Tuesday also reported an outbreak of the H5N1 bird flu virus in the southeastern town of Dawei last month, which led to the culling of some 1,800 chickens.