|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Oil, Mining & Energy (Click here for more)

Mining Firms, Filipino Government at Odds Over Bid to Close 23 Mines

MANILA - Mining companies in the Philippines accused the government Thursday of wanting to kill the industry after it unveiled plans to cancel 75 mining contracts, and ordered the closure of 23 mines across the country for their negative impact on the environment.

On Tuesday, the country's Environment Secretary Gina Lopez said it will annul 75 of the 311 mining contracts in the Philippines, just a week after announcing its plan to shut down 23 of the 41 active mines in the country for polluting the water table and damaging local communities.

This has sparked a fierce duel between the government and mining barons, with the latter claiming the mine halt plans put projects worth $22 billion at risk.

Lopez, a defender of environmental issues, is "out to kill the industry. We do not see a future for us under her," hit out Ronald Recidoro, Vice president for legal and policy affairs for the Chamber of Mines of the Philippines, as cited by the daily Inquirer.

He also accused the minister of risking billions of dollars of public money in fighting possible lawsuits that mining companies may file if the administration goes ahead with the plan.

Lopez' proposal to close 23 mines - including 19 of nickel and one of gold - has so far been backed by President Rodrigo Duterte, although he is yet to formally ratify her decision.

On Sunday, in reference to alleged damages by mining activities on his native Mindanao island, Duterte had said it will be impossible to change nature back to how it used to be, and so he was going to close all of them (mines).

The archipelago is the world's largest nickel exporter, with 27 mines of the metal, which could be drastically reduced to eight if the government green lights the project.
 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2020 © All rights reserved