|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Arts & Entertainment

Dolce & Gabbana Apologizes to Chinese Public after Racist Ad Row

BEIJING – The co-founders of Italian fashion brand Dolce & Gabbana apologized on Friday after a row over a video advertisement in China.

The controversy has affected the company’s sales in China and forced the firm to cancel a show in Shanghai.

The video in question showed a Chinese woman struggling to eat Italian food with chopsticks, in a depiction considered racist by many in China.

“We offer our deepest apologies to all Chinese people around the world,” designer Stefano Gabbana said in a video posted on Chinese social media site Sina Weibo, in which he appeared along with co-founder Domenico Dolce.

In the one and half minute video, Gabbana and Dolce sat solemnly in front of the camera and said they had “seriously reflected” on the issue and were sorry for the damage the incident had caused.

“In our family, we have been taught to respect the diversity of all cultures of the world, and we apologize if we have committed the error of misinterpreting yours,” Gabbana said in Italian in the video with English and Chinese subtitles.

“We love the Chinese culture, we have visited the country many times,” the designer said, adding that they would never forget the lesson learned “this time.”

The crisis for the brand showed no signs of subsiding on Friday, with its products being removed from major Chinese e-commerce platforms such as Taobao, JD.com and Amazon China.

Retailer Lane Crawford said on Friday it was withdrawing the brand from its stores and online platforms in China after clients returned articles made by the Italian manufacturer.

Some users of Sina Weibo posted images of people throwing away Dolce & Gabbana products and shop employees removing their articles.

The fashion show, which was supposed to take place on Nov. 21, had to be cancelled as a number of models refused to participate after alleged private Instagram messages of Gabbana surfaced, with offensive references to China.

The designer denied he had written the messages, claiming his account had been hacked. The company later issued a statement cancelling the show, which it had called “a tribute event dedicated to China.”

The case has led to widespread outrage in China, although foreign ministry spokesperson Geng Shuang said on Thursday that it was not a diplomatic matter and China did not want the issue to escalate.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2019 © All rights reserved