LOS ANGELES – American streaming platform Netflix announced on Friday that it has broken all ties with Kevin Spacey and that it will not proceed with the “House of Cards” series, which stars the actor.
“Netflix will not be involved with any further production of ‘House of Cards’ that includes Kevin Spacey. We will continue to work with MRC (Media Rights Capital studio) during this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the show,” the company said in a statement.
Netflix stopped filming on the upcoming season of the series following allegations of sexual harassment against the star.
The series’ writers would be making changes to the script of the sixth and final season of the series to write out Spacey’s character, Frank Underwood, The Hollywood Reporter reported Friday.
Earlier, Variety magazine reported that the producers of the series were studying the possibility of killing off Spacey’s character so that he does not appear in the next season.
Netflix has also decided not to release the Gore Vidal biopic, starring Spacey, which had been in post-production.
“We have also decided we will not be moving forward with the release of the film Gore, which was in post-production, starring and produced by Kevin Spacey,” the streamer said.