RIO DE JANEIRO – Police in Rio de Janeiro plan to open an investigation of Brazilian soccer star Neymar for publishing intimate images of a woman who accused him of rape, officials said on Sunday.
The Cybercrimes Department said in a statement that it would look into “the alleged posting of a video by Neymar” to his Instagram account in which he revealed to his nearly 120 million followers conversations with the woman.
Among the materials released on Sunday were messages Neymar exchanged between March and May with the alleged victim and intimate photos of her.
The images, however, were edited to digitally blur her private parts, as well as times and names.
Neymar confirmed that he has other videos sent by the woman but has not released them.
In Brazil, it is a crime punishable by one to five years in prison to offer, share, sell, distribute or publish images and/or videos with sexual content without the consent of the victim.
The prison sentence could be increased if the offense is motivated by revenge or humiliation after a sexual relationship.
“The 110th Civilian Police Precinct (in the town of Teresopolis) has already carried out proceedings that will help in this investigation,” the statement said.
Neymar arrived on Sunday at the Granja Comary training complex in Teresopolis, a city located 98 kilometers (about 61 miles) from Rio de Janeiro, by helicopter ahead of the Copa America.
Hours before his arrival, a Civilian Police patrol car approached the training complex, entered and waited for a few minutes, as EFE verified.
EFE, however, was unable to confirm whether the police presence had anything to do with the Neymar case.
The Paris Saint Germain star was accused of sexual assault by a young Brazilian woman, who alleged that he raped her at a Paris hotel after they met on social media and he paid for her to travel to the French capital.
The woman filed a criminal complaint last Friday at a Sao Paulo police station, alleging that the rape occurred in Paris last month.
The woman, whose identity has not been revealed, said in the complaint that she got in touch with Neymar via social media and they began to exchange messages.
She claimed Neymar invited her to Paris and that one of his associates arranged airplane tickets and a place for her to stay.
She says she arrived in Paris on May 15 and stayed at the Hotel Sofitel Paris Arc Du Triomphe, where Neymar came to meet her at around 8:00 pm in an apparently intoxicated state.
“They began to talk and caress one another, however at a certain point, Neymar became aggressive and, through violence had sexual relations against the victim’s will,” the complaint published by UOL and GloboEsporte said.
The player’s father, Neymar da Silva Santos, said on a television program on the Bandeirantes Network that his son was the victim of an extortion attempt by the woman making the allegations.