|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Sports (Click here for more)

Nadal to Return in Acapulco, Already Looking Ahead to Clay Season

ALICANTE, Spain – Spanish world No. 1 Rafael Nadal said on Wednesday he would return to action at a hard-court event in Acapulco, Mexico, in late February.

That means an encouragingly speedy recovery for the 16-time Grand Slam champion after he suffered a muscle tear in his right hip that forced him to retire in the fifth set of his quarterfinal match at this month’s Australian Open.

Nadal, who serves as brand ambassador for Banco Sabadell, made those remarks to around 1,200 people during an event organized by that financial institution at the Auditorium of the Provincial Council of Alicante.

The tennis star said he planned to compete at Acapulco in the last week of February and then at two other hardcourt tournaments in March – the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells and the Miami Open.

But the Spaniard, who is almost universally regarded as the greatest clay-court player of all time, said he was focused on being at top form at the “most important time of year,” referring to a series of major clay events – the Monte Carlo Masters, the Madrid Open, the Italian Open and the French Open – played between mid-April and early June.

Referring to his disappointing exit at the Australian Open, where he was forced to retire while trailing Croatia’s Marin Cilic 3-6, 6-3, 6-7 (5), 6-2, 2-0, Nadal said the injury was just “a small tear, but it was impossible to keep going.”

During the Banco Sabadell event, the 10-time French Open champion congratulated his main rival, 36-year-old Roger Federer, on defending his Australian Open title and increasing his record haul of Grand Slam titles to 20.

Nadal said he and the Swiss had an excellent relationship and were able to put aside their rivalry when they step off the court.

The 31-year-old Nadal also said he planned to be a part of Spain’s Davis Cup campaign this year and believed the team, which takes on Great Britain in a first-round tie early next month, had an opportunity to capture a sixth title.

But he said he could only take part if healthy.

“The drastic changes in surface (throughout a Davis Cup campaign) are not very advisable. My priority now is to be healthy and be able to choose the schedule I think is most appropriate,” Nadal said.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2018 © All rights reserved