|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | World (Click here for more)

Afghan Security Chief Resigns after Operation Leaves Civilian Casualties

KABUL – Afghan intelligence chief Masoum Stanekzai resigned on Thursday after four brothers died in a raid in eastern Nangarhar province as part of an overnight operation.

The operation took place Wednesday night in Jalalabad, in eastern Nangarhar province.

The National Directorate of Security (NDS) said in a statement its forces had killed four people suspected of links to the Islamic State terror organization and detained eight others.

Relatives of the victims brought their bodies to the provincial governor’s office and said they had been civilians, which sparked criticism on social media.

In Kabul, President Ashraf Ghani held an “emergency meeting” with security chiefs.

“As a responsible state we have zero tolerance for civilian casualties. I have regretfully accepted the resignation of NDS chief, Mr. Stanekzai,” Ghani said in a statement.

The president ordered the country’s Attorney General to investigate the incident “immediately, and to bring the perpetrators to justice.”

Spokesperson for the Nangarhar governor, Attaullah Khogyanai, said the eight people detained by the NDS have since been released.

NDS forces have been criticized in the past for operations that have led to civilian deaths.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2019 © All rights reserved