KABUL – The death toll following an attack on a wedding party in the Afghan capital Kabul has gone up to 80, police sources said on Wednesday.
“The death toll which was previously 63, now increased to 80 people. Some of the injured ones who were in critical conditions succumbed to their injuries later in the hospitals over the past few days,” Interior Ministry spokesperson Nasrat Rahimi said in a statement.
Rahimi told EFE that out of the 182 injured persons, who had been treated for their injuries, 30 of them were in critical condition and 17 of them had lost their lives in hospital in recent days.
Those with minor injuries have already been discharged from hospitals but were being treated at home, he said.
The deadly attack, caused by a powerful suicide blast inside a wedding hall, was the latest in series of the attacks against the Shia minority.
“After the attack, Kabul police had a consultative meeting with wedding hall owners and we are closely working to take some additional security measures for security of the wedding halls,” Kabul Police spokesperson Firdaws Faramarz told EFE.
Faramarz said the death toll included a large number of children and women.
The attack took place only a day before Afghan Independence Day and forced the government to delay or cancel many celebratory programs and events that were scheduled to be held across the country on Aug. 19 to mark the 100th anniversary of the country’s independence.
The Islamic State terror organization claimed responsibility for the attack.
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani said the Taliban had laid the foundations for such brutal attacks by other terror groups in Afghanistan.
The Taliban distanced itself from the attack and condemned it.