KABUL – A suicide bomber targeted a wedding reception in Afghanistan’s capital on Saturday night, prompting officials to warn of a potentially high death toll.
“An explosion took place at the Shahr-e-Dubai wedding hall of police district 6 at around 10:40 pm (Saturday night), and unfortunately it is feared that there are victims,” Interior Ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahimi said in a statement.
The spokesman said authorities were waiting to gather more information about the nature of the explosion and the possible number of people killed or injured.
For his part, the spokesman of Afghanistan’s president’s office, Sediq Sediqqi, said on Twitter he was “destroyed” by the suicide attack.
“I’m destroyed by the news of the suicide attack inside a wedding hall in Kabul. This is a hateful crime against our people. How is it possible to train a human being and ask him to explode a bomb at a wedding?” Sediqqi asked.
No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack.
Ten days ago, at least 14 people died and 145 others were injured in a Taliban vehicle-bomb attack on a police station in Kabul.
Zabiullah Mujahid, the chief spokesman for that militant group, told EFE on Tuesday – a day after the conclusion in Doha of the eighth round of talks between Taliban and United States negotiators – that an agreement with the US aimed at ending nearly two decades of conflict in Afghanistan had been nearly finalized.
He added that some amendments could still be made to the accord and that the signing ceremony will take place in the presence of international guarantors.