TRIPOLI – Over 150 migrants are feared dead after the boat they were crossing the Mediterranean on sank off the coast of Libya, the UN’s Refugee Agency said Thursday.
About another 150 people are said to have been rescued and were being taken back to Libya, where they would be receiving medical and humanitarian assistance from the UNHCR.
The boat had set off from the Libyan city of Khoms, some 120 kilometers to the east of Tripoli, security forces told EFE, without specifying when the incident took place and which vessels were involved in the rescue efforts.
According to the latest report by the International Organization for Migration, 426 people have died at sea so far this year in their efforts to reach Europe.
Another 3,750 have been taken to detention centers in Libya, according to IOM figures.