|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | World (Click here for more)

Saudi Arabia Rules Out War with Iran after Gulf Attacks

RIYADH – Saudi Arabian Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir said on Sunday that his country is not seeking to start a war with Iran but is ready to defend itself from any threat, following recent attacks in the Gulf region.

Al-Jubeir said in a news conference that the kingdom’s “hands are always extended to peace and seeks to achieve it, and believes that the peoples of the region, including the Iranian people, have the right to live in security and stability and to move towards development.”

“The Iranian regime has directly and through its proxies sought to provoke unrest and supported terrorist and extremist groups and organizations.

“Over the past decades, the countries of the region have suffered from the crimes of the Iranian regime and its interventions which are too numerous to count,” he added.

On Tuesday, Saudi Arabia said two oil pumping stations in Riyadh were targeted by explosive-laden airborne drones and blamed the Iran-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen for the assault.

Last week, the United Arab Emirates said that four commercial vessels, including two belonging to Saudi Arabia, were sabotaged off its coast.

These incidents came amid growing tension in the region between Iran and the United States.

The US said earlier this month it was sending the USS Abraham Lincoln, a nuclear aircraft carrier of the Nimitz class, and the USS Arlington amphibious warship, as well as a Patriot missile defense battery and bombers, to the Middle East.

Al-Jubeir said that the “problems in the region began since the arrival of the Iranian regime in 1979, whose constitution is based on exporting revolution and interfering in the internal affairs of other countries.”

“The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia responded to a distress call from an Iranian oil vessel in the Red Sea and immediately provided the necessary assistance to the vessel and its crew,” the Saudi minister added.

Al-Jubeir reported that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman discussed regional developments as well as bilateral ties in a phone call with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Saturday, giving no further details.

In April, the US announced the end of exemptions it had granted to eight nations, China, India, Italy, Greece, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and Turkey, to buy Iranian oil.

Tehran responded by saying that if the US blocks its oil exports it could close the strategic Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most important marine trade routes.

Last month, the US designated the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps as a terrorist group, to which Tehran responded by putting US troops deployed in the Middle East on its list of extremist groups.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2019 © All rights reserved