JERUSALEM One Palestinian was killed and two others were injured when Israeli forces opened fire on the three men who were trying to get into Israel through the Gaza border, military sources told EFE on Thursday.
Israeli soldiers, patrolling the southern area of the border late on Wednesday, opened fire on three suspects when they saw them crossing the security fence.
A short while ago, IDF (Israel Defense Forces) troops spotted three suspects crossing the security fence and infiltrating into Israel from the southern Gaza Strip. In response, the troops fired at the suspects, IDF said in a statement.
The Palestinians were allegedly armed with knives, the statement added giving no further details.
An Israeli military spokesman confirmed the death of one of the three Palestinians and that one other person was wounded and had been transferred to a medical center, the spokesperson told EFE on Thursday morning.
The same military spokesman had no further information over the third person that was wounded in the clash.
According to the Palestinian WAFA news agency, two injured men were taken to a hospital in Israel.
Meanwhile, Palestinian Maan news agency reported on Wednesday that a Palestinian was shot dead and another was wounded by an Israeli settler at the Huwwara checkpoint, in the northern occupied West Bank city of Nablus.
We are very surprised at the silence of the international community on such crimes and the indifference countries exhibit towards the life of the Palestinian citizen, the Palestinian ministry of foreign affairs and expatriates said in a statement as cited by Maan.
Over the past weeks, tension has increased in and around the border area after a rocket launched from Gaza on March 26 hit an Israeli house and wounded seven people in a family, including children.
Then, Palestinian militias launched 30 rockets and mortar shells towards Israeli territory.
The Israeli air force struck around 15 targets in northern Gaza in response.
Hamas, which has controlled Gaza since 2007, said earlier that Egypt had succeeded in brokering a ceasefire between the two sides, though there has been no confirmation of the ceasefire from Israel.
The military said in a statement that it holds Hamas responsible for everything that happens in the Gaza Strip and has increased troops deployed in the area with infantry and armored brigades.