SEOUL – The group that claimed responsibility for the attack on the North Korean embassy in Madrid in February said on Monday that it was preparing for a major event.
The Cheollima Civil Defense (CCD) group, also known as “Free Joseon,” made the announcement on its website and said it would remain silent until the event.
The mysterious group added in the message – written in the Korean language – that many articles published about the CCD contain elements that are not true and asked the media to respect the anonymity of its members and publish only verified details about the organization.
In that regard, it said it has not been in touch with North Korean defectors residing in South Korea and urged the media not to trust refugees who speak about Free Joseon or those who impersonate members of the organization.
South Korean media have published articles in which the North Korean deserters have said they have been in contact with the CCD and have given details about their alleged activities.
The message of the organization, which is committed to overthrowing the Kim dynasty, came a day after North Korea commented for the first time on the attack against the Madrid embassy, which occurred on Feb. 22.
Pyongyang described the raid as a “grave terrorist attack” and asked the Spanish authorities to conduct an in-depth investigation to find those responsible for it and bring them to justice.
During the raid, which was claimed by the CCD last week, the embassy’s staff was tied up and beaten by a group of 10 armed men, who later decamped with computers and equipment, according to a document published by Spain’s High Court.
The judge leading the investigation has asked the United States for the extradition of two men, both of Korean origin but holding a Mexican and US passport respectively, who are believed to the ringleaders of the group and currently in the US.
The CCD, which has not yet stated the objective of the attack on the embassy, first surfaced online in March 2017 when it claimed it had protected the son of Kim Jong-nam. Kim Jong-nam, the half-brother of the North Korean leader, was murdered at a Kuala Lumpur airport in February 2017.
It has also declared itself a North Korean government in exile and claimed the North’s regime has committed crimes against humanity.