|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | World (Click here for more)

Group behind Madrid Raid on North Korean Embassy Suspends Activities

SEOUL – A shadowy group who claimed responsibility for a raid on the North Korean embassy in Madrid last month announced on Thursday that it was temporarily suspending its activities.

On its website, the Cheollima Civil Defense (CCD) said while preparing for multiple actions aimed at the North Korean regime, the activities of its members are now suspended due to attacks in speculative articles of the press.

The statement comes a day after the CCD, recently renamed Free Joseon (Free Korea), claimed responsibility for a raid on Pyongyang’s embassy in Madrid on Feb. 22 that lasted several hours.

The embassy’s staff was tied up and beaten by a group of 10 armed men, who later decamped with computers and equipment, according to a document published by Spain’s High Court.

But on Wednesday, the CCD said “this was not an attack. We responded to an urgent situation in the Madrid embassy. We were invited into the embassy, and contrary to reports, no one was gagged or beaten. Out of respect for the host nation of Spain, no weapons were used. All occupants in the embassy were treated with dignity and necessary caution.”

The CCD said it was in possession of evidence supporting its account but was unable to share it to “protect those who seek our help, and those who take great risk to protect others” and to avoid turning them into targets of the Pyongyang regime.

However, the CCD said it had “shared certain information of enormous potential value with the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) in the United States, under mutually agreed terms of confidentiality.”

The group’s claims came a day after Madrid judge Jose de la Mata lifted a gag order on the judicial investigation into the incident.

The legal document published on Tuesday identified seven people linked to the attack, including Adrian Hong Chang, a Mexican citizen, and Sam Ryu, a United States citizen.

The judge has asked the US for the extradition of both men.

The organization, which is committed to overthrowing the Kim dynasty, first surfaced online in March 2017 when it claimed it had protected the son of Kim Jong-nam – the half-brother of the North Korean leader – who was murdered at a Kuala Lumpur airport in Feb. 2017.

It has also declared itself a North Korean government in exile and claimed the North’s regime has committed crimes against humanity.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2019 © All rights reserved