|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | World (Click here for more)

Netherlands Prosecutors Probe If Terror a Motive in Deadly Utrecht Shooting

UTRECHT, Netherlands – Netherlands prosecutors said on Tuesday they were seriously considering terrorism as a motive behind a shooting on a tram in the central city of Utrecht that claimed the lives of three people and left three others seriously injured but have ruled out any relations between the alleged attacker and the victims.

Police have detained a 37-year-old Turkish-born man suspected of opening fire on passengers aboard the tram on Monday morning at 24 Oktoberplein, a busy junction underneath a highway bridge to the west of the Utrecht city center.

“So far, a terrorist motive has been seriously taken into account,” prosecutors said in a statement, a letter discovered in the car used by the alleged gunman gave weight to this preliminary line of inquiry.

A 19-year-old woman and two men aged 28 and 49 died in the shooting, while a 74-year-old man and two women aged 20 and 21, respectively, were hospitalized in a serious condition.

Four others were slightly injured during their bid to escape the scene of the attack, although none of those included bullet wounds.

Prosecutors said there was no relation between the alleged assailant and the victims.

Police also arrested two men whose potential involvement in the attack was to be investigated.

Security was boosted across the city.

On Monday, police named the main suspect in the shooting as Gokmen Tanis and released an image of the alleged killer on a tram apparently just minutes before the attack.

Dutch media reported he had appeared in court on several occasions.

The shooting took place at around 10:45 am.

The Netherlands government ordered flags to be flown at half-staff outside official buildings on Tuesday.

The country was overcome by “horror and disbelief,” Prime Minister Mark Rutte said.

“Our thoughts go to the victims’ relatives, to the families who have lost a beloved member. Our thoughts also go to the wounded, who are now fighting for their lives. The whole of the Netherlands shares your deep pain,” he said in a statement.

Utrecht is the fourth-largest city in the Netherlands located just 40 kilometers (24 miles) to the southeast of the capital, Amsterdam.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2019 © All rights reserved