RIYADH – Saudi Arabia has intercepted a ballistic missile targeting the city of Riyadh which was fired by Houthi rebels from neighboring Yemen, officials said on Tuesday, adding that there were no casualties.
The Saudi International Information Center reported the incident in a Twitter post.
The Houthi rebels, for their part, tweeted that the missile targeted the Al Yamama Royal Palace.
In a statement from the Houthi-controlled defense ministry, the rebels confirmed that the missile was aimed at what they believed to be “a broad meeting of officials of the Saudi criminal regime.”
“The US umbrella and international protection of the Saudi criminal regime will not prevent the Yemeni people from continuing the confrontation until God wills it to end,” the statement added.
The spokesman of the Saudi-led coalition, Col. Turki Al-Maliki, said the hostile act by what he termed the Iran-backed Houthi armed group defied United Nations resolutions on Yemen.
He accused Iran and the Houthis of aiming to threaten the security of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as well as regional and international security.
“Launching ballistic missiles towards populated cities and villages is contrary to the international humanitarian law,” he added.
This is the second missile the Houthi rebels have fired at the Saudi capital.
A separate missile was intercepted over Riyadh on Nov. 4, with debris falling near Riyadh’s airport.
Saudi authorities accused Iran of the attack last month, calling it a war crime.
In response, the Saudi-led coalition launched airstrikes against the Houthi defense ministry in the Yemeni capital city of Sana’a, and imposed a blockade on Yemen.
Since 2015, Saudi Arabia has led a coalition that supports the internationally recognized government of President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi.