CAIRO – Eight of the more than 100 people wounded in the deadly attack last week on a mosque in Egypt’s northern Sinai Peninsula are still in intensive care, with four listed in serious condition, the Health Ministry said Sunday.
The attack killed 305 people, including 27 children, and wounded 128 others, who were taken to different medical centers, state-run news agency MENA reported, citing the ministry.
Seven of the wounded have been released, the latest medical reports said.
Among the victims of the attack were an ambulance driver and a male nurse, state-run newspaper Al-Ahram reported, citing Health Minister Ahmed Emad al-Din.
Emad al-Din visited the wounded on Sunday.
The attackers, according to a statement published by the Union of the Sinai Tribes, detonated explosives in the mosque and shot those who attempted to flee, locking the doors to prevent people from escaping and then killing them.
No terror group has yet claimed responsibility for the deadliest attack in Egypt’s recent history.
The attack targeted al-Rawda mosque during Friday prayers in Bir al-Abd, a town 40 kilometers (25 miles) west of the North Sinai capital of el-Arish.
Wilayat Sinai, which is suspected of being behind Friday’s attack and has pledged allegiance to the Islamic State terror organization, released a statement on Saturday that made no mention of the attack.
The group instead claimed responsibility for a separate attack on Saturday that targeted Egyptian soldiers close to the border with Gaza.