SEOUL – The North Korean soldier who managed to defect to the South despite being shot multiple times has been transferred from intensive care to a general ward after his condition improved, the hospital where he is being treated said on Friday.
The 24-year-old was in a stable condition following two operations, according to Ajou University Hospital, situated south of Seoul.
The soldier, known by his surname Oh, was shot five or six times by North Korean soldiers on Nov. 13 when he crossed the border.
South Korean soldiers later rescued him and took him to hospital.
Doctors had earlier feared for his life but now believe Oh will take one more month to recover, although he might suffer from lifelong physical damage.
The soldier also suffers from tuberculosis, Hepatitis B and intestinal worms.
The medical team has said that the soldier also shows symptoms of severe psychological stress and depression.
If his situation continues to improve, Oh will be transferred to a military hospital, local news agency Yonhap reported.