|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Colombia (Click here for more)

COVID-19 Infects 13 at Colombian Presidential Palace

BOGOTA – Thirteen people who work at the presidential palace are infected with the coronavirus, the Colombian government said on Friday.

Tests on President Ivan Duque and staff members who have frequent close contact with the head of state found no trace of COVID-19, officials said.

Five of the infected people belong to the Administrative Department of the Presidency, while the other eight are security guards at Casa de Nariño.

All 13 of those individuals are self-isolating in their homes.

“On Wednesday, May 27, tests were conducted on the president of the Republic, his advisers, support team, as well as the people who make up the president’s primary security team, all with negative results,” the government said in a statement.

Doctors are monitoring the condition of the 13 infected employees and the pandemic health-safety protocols remain in effect, limiting to 20% the proportion of the staff present in the palace on any given day.

The government disclosed last week that a Casa de Nariño security guard and 13 soldiers from the Presidential Guard Battalion tested positive for coronavirus.

On that occasion, neither Duque nor anyone in his inner circle were tested because none of them had been exposed to the infected people, though samples were taken from several presidential bodyguards.

The pace of COVID-19 contagion in Colombia has accelerated and a record 1,262 new cases were confirmed Thursday, bringing the total to 25,366.

Colombia’s death toll from the illness stands at 822.

With the number of new infections topping 1,000 for three days running, the Colombian government announced Thursday night that the restrictions on movement and activity imposed on March 25 would continue until July 1.

The national lockdown, which came weeks after Colombia’s mayors and provincial governors began taking action to contain the pandemic, was originally scheduled to end on May 31.

Bristling at the implied challenge to his authority, Duque issued a decree in mid-March overturning the various curfews and other restrictions enacted by officials at lower levels of government and requiring cities and provinces to coordinate with his administration.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2020 © All rights reserved