BOGOTA – The Colombian government and FARC have agreed to extend the deadline for the extraction of weapons caches, the UN Mission in Colombia which is supervising the process said Friday.
“In accordance with the decision taken by the Government and the FARC-EP yesterday, August 31, to extend until September 15 the deadline for extraction of arms caches, the UN Mission confirms that it will continue with its verification operations of the process,” a UN press release said.
After Sept. 15, the caches that the UN fails to deactivate will be the responsibility of Colombian security forces.
The UN statement also praised both sides’ commitment to the disarmament program.
“The UN Mission recognizes the FARC-EP commitment to the location and dismantling of the arms caches, as well as the support of the Armed Forces and the National Police to carry out these operations.”
Earlier on Friday, the group had announced a name change amid a rebranding initiative.
The group, which will keep the same acronym, formally known as the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), held a press conference in Bogota to discuss the structure and agenda of the newly-named Revolutionary Alternative Force of the Commons.