|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Colombia (Click here for more)

Colombian Armed Forces to Fight FARC Holdouts without Quarter

BOGOTA – The army will continue fighting without quarter any FARC guerrillas opposed to the peace process, along with other illegal armed groups operating in the country, Colombia’s overall military commander, Gen. Juan Pablo Rodriguez Barragan, said on Monday.

Rodriguez was speaking about members of the 1st Front of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) who several months ago announced that they were opposed to the peace process, and five mid-level commanders of the group who last week were removed from their commands by the organization’s leadership.

“Whoever does not embrace the peace process and does not take advantage of that opportunity to make their transition from illegality to legality is outside the law, and as such those dissidents will feel the full weight of military and police activities,” Rodriguez told reporters in Bogota.

He said that the information provided by the FARC indicates that those dissident groups “are almost all from the FARC’s Eastern Bloc,” which operates in Colombia’s southeast.

The general noted that Defense Minister Luis Carlos Villegas said that there are 190 dissident rebels, but he added that that figure could change between now and Dec. 30.

Rodriguez added that the dissident rebels belong to the 1st, 2nd and 44th Fronts of the FARC, along with some members of the 39th Front.

The FARC’s military leadership announced on Dec. 13 that it removed five of its southeastern commanders from their commands for not adhering to the political-military parameters set forth by the guerrilla group, which signed a peace accord with the Colombian government.

The commanders separated from their commands were identified by their noms de guerre – “Gentil Duarte,” “Euclides Mora,” “John 40,” “Giovanny Chuspas” and “Julian Chollo” – and evidently have decided to continue the fight against the government and apparently have maintained contacts with the Clan del Golfo criminal group.

Rodriguez emphasized that the government authorized the use of force against those dissident groups, as well as against the National Liberation Army (ELN) rebels and other illegal armed groups.

The military operations to be undertaken against armed groups operating outside the parameters of the peace pact could include bombardment of zones where those groups are detected, although Rodriguez made clear that Colombia will follow “the precepts of international humanitarian law” in waging the fight and bombardments will be undertaken only if the local “civilian population” is not jeopardized.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2015 © All rights reserved