CARACAS – Venezuela’s Minister of Interior Nestor Reverol described on Sunday the explosives attack that injured eight Bolivarian National Police (PNB) agents during an anti-government protest in eastern Caracas as a “terrorist act.”
“A terrorist act took place in the Altamira square in Chacao municipality, where eight PNB officials with first, second and third degree burns were found, and that they fortunately are out of danger,” Reverol said at a press conference following the election on Sunday, held amid ongoing protests against the government’s attempts to convene the Constituent Assembly.
“All the investigations to search for the responsible terrorists of this terrible act are underway,” Reverol added.
The minister said 21 security forces officers have been shot and wounded across the country during demonstrations called by the opposition, which claims that the Constituent Assembly will lead the country into a dictatorship.
Reverol also reported that there had been about 200 attacks on polling stations across the country.
Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino Lopez previously said that a soldier was killed by gunshot wounds during protests.
According to the Prosecutor’s Office, at least eight people were killed in riots on Sunday, while the opposition coalition Democratic Unity Roundtable (MUD) raised the death toll of those killed during the day to 14, blaming the “repression” of the government.