|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Colombia (Click here for more)

Prosecutor Accuses Former Colombian Governor of 2000 Massacre

BOGOTA – A prosecutor with Colombia’s Human Rights Unit on Thursday accused the former governor of the northern province of Sucre, Miguel Nule Amin, of being the “intellectual author” of the Macayepo massacre perpetrated by paramilitary forces in 2000.

A spokesman for the Colombian Attorney General’s Office told Efe of the decision noting that Nule Amin had been arrested in early 2012 for his alleged key responsibility in the crimes of aggravated homicide and forced displacement.

In the bloody massacre, some 80 members of the Northern Bloc of the United Self-Defense Forces of Colombia, or AUC, reportedly used garrotes, stones and machetes to kill at least 15 unarmed peasants and forced some 200 families from their homes in the town of Macayepo in the northern Caribbean coastal province of Bolivar.

In February 2010, Colombia’s supreme court sentenced former Sen. Alvaro Garcia Romero to 40 years in prison for being a “mastermind and accomplice” in the massacre.

The accused, who is the father of brothers Miguel and Manuel Nule and the uncle of Guido Nule, all of whom are currently in prison after being convicted in a corruption scandal involving public hiring in Bogota, was captured on Feb. 18, 2012, at the Cartagena airport as he was preparing to board a flight for Miami.

Nule Amin was previously absolved of the crimes of murder and forced displacement in relation to Macayepo, but the prosecutor said recent confessions by ex-paramilitaries warranted reopening the case. EFE


 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2015 © All rights reserved