SANTO DOMINGO – The number of people forced to abandon their homes due to several days of intense rains in the Dominican Republic has climbed to 27,295, the COE emergency-management office said.
Downpours have flooded 5,454 houses and completely destroyed another five, according to the COE, which said 27 towns have been cut off due to swollen rivers and the rupture of a containment wall.
The COE confirmed Friday that a green alert remained in effect for the city of Santo Domingo, the southeastern province of Santo Domingo, the northeastern province of Maria Trinidad Sanchez, the eastern province of Monte Plata and the northern province of Duarte.
That alert level indicates a possible threat of damage to people, infrastructure and personal belongings.
A cluster of storms that later became Tropical Storm Bonnie affected the Dominican Republic earlier this week and meteorologists say a trough of low pressure located over the island of Hispaniola – which also includes Haiti – will continue producing downpours.
The rains, which will be accompanied by electrical storms and strong wind gusts, will be more intense on the Caribbean coast and the southern slopes of the Cordillera Central mountain range.
The COE recommended that people stay away from rivers, streams and creeks with high water levels and to avoid going into the ocean if they notice strong waves.
It also advised inhabitants of areas vulnerable to mudslides to take precautions, follow the recommendations of emergency-management officials and pay attention to weather bulletins.