|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Brazil (Click here for more)

Death Toll from Brazil Mudslides Rises to 225

RIO DE JANEIRO The death toll from a series of mudslides in the southeastern Brazilian state of Rio de Janeiro has climbed to 225, with recovery efforts becoming more difficult as teams reach deeper strata, officials said Sunday.

Two more bodies were recovered Sunday morning in the shantytown of Morro do Bumba in Niteroi, a suburb of Rio de Janeiro, where it is feared that another 150 people could be buried.

The work of rescue teams, who have removed 34 bodies from the site, is becoming difficult because the top levels of the mass of earth have been removed and now it will be necessary to dig deeper, amid tons of mud, stones and trash that cascaded off the hillside due to the rains.

The shantytown located in Morro de Bumba, which had about 50 dwellings, a church, a day care center and several businesses, had been built about 30 years ago on top of an old dump, a location where the soil was weak and its capacity to absorb water reduced.

Most of the rescue and recovery work has been focusing since last Friday on the site, but efforts continued on Sunday on other hillsides in Rio de Janeiro, Sao Gonzalo, Petropolis, Nilopolis, Mage and Paracambi, which were the cities most affected by the rainstorm that began last Monday afternoon.

The evacuation of hundreds of families who were still in areas considered dangerous and where it was feared that there could be new landslides will begin on Monday, Rio de Janeiro Gov. Sergio Cabral said.

Many of those families are refusing to leave their homes, but officials said that, if necessary, they will be forced to do so, since there is a real danger that more landslides could occur if there is more rain, as meteorologists predict for this week.

The number of people affected by the rains in Rio de Janeiro state, according to government estimates, is some 50,000, who have been housed temporarily in municipal shelters and schools.
 

 

Xbox Live Gratuit
Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2009 © All rights reserved