|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Society (Click here for more)

Buckingham Palace Responds to Harry-Meghan TV Interview

LONDON -- The British royal palace on Tuesday said that it was "saddened' after learning of the suffering expressed by the duke and duchess of Sussex - Prince Harry and his wife, the former US actress Meghan Markle - and acknowledged that the problems they exposed in their recent US television interview are "concerning," especially "that of race."

"The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan," Buckingham Palace said in a short public statement released on behalf of Queen Elizabeth II.

"The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately," the palace added, going on to say that "Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members."

The response of the British royal palace had been impatiently awaited after the revelations Harry and Meghan made in their explosive interview with Oprah Winfrey broadcast Sunday evening on US television.

According to British media outlets, the queen's statement will be the only official response to the comments made by the duke and duchess of Sussex in their two-hour interview.

The British government has kept silent regarding the accusations the royal couple made in the interview, although the Labor opposition has called for an investigation into the "serious" complaints of racism within the House of Windsor.

Meghan told Winfrey that at least one member of the royal family had raised "concerns" and there had been "conversations" about how dark the skin color of Archie would be while the duchess - whose father is white and whose mother is black - was still pregnant.

The duke, in turn, confirmed that the racism that the couple suffered was "in large part" the reason why they decided to abandon the UK and move to North America, adding that he had had difficulty dealing with the "bigoted" British press and had felt "trapped" within the royal family.

Meghan also told Winfrey that life within the royal family felt suffocating, adding that she felt isolated but received little or no support and was instructed not to obtain outside mental health help, given that doing so could reflect poorly on the monarchy.

"I just didn't want to be alive anymore," the duchess said in the interview.
 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2021 © All rights reserved