MADRID – Sevilla FC became on Wednesday the latest in a string of Spanish football clubs to confirm a case of coronavirus among their players.
The news comes a day after this year’s LaLiga champion Real Madrid confirmed their player Mariano had tested positive.
In a statement, Sevilla said that tests carried out on Sunday revealed one COVID-19 case in the first team, although the club did not mention the name of the player.
“The affected player is asymptomatic, in good health and is isolated at home.”
Since the diagnosis, the club has conducted two PCR tests on each of the staff, the results of which will be known Thursday, according to the statement.
Sevilla was not the only club to confirm COVID-19 cases on Wednesday.
Second-tier clubs UD Almeria and Real Zaragoza, both of which are slated for top-flight play-offs, also reported positive cases.
Almeria said one member of the team had COVID-19 but was asymptomatic and was isolating in accordance with rules set by LaLiga and the Spanish football association (RFEF).
The club said it would conduct fresh tests on the staff 24 hours after the last round of testing. Training at the club has been suspended.
Real Zaragoza said they had carried out a round of testing on Monday, all of which came back negative.
Training went ahead as usual on Monday and Tuesday.
However, on Wednesday morning a player informed staff that he had symptoms compatible with COVID-19. A new test confirmed the player was positive for coronavirus.
The play-offs for the top-flight of Spanish football were put on hold last week after several coronavirus cases were detected in second-tier side Fuenlabrada after the traveling squad had landed in the northwestern city of A Coruña to play local side Deportivo.
The game was cancelled.
Fuenlabrada had their sights on a play-off spot, alongside Zaragoza, Almeria and Girona. LaLiga said it would give the spot to Elche, who made the cut-off on the last day of the league, jumping above Fuenlabrada, who could wrap up the season with a game in hand.
It caused a storm in the league, with Fuenlabrada’s players condemning the decision in a statement and other clubs who narrowly missed out on the play-offs, such as Rayo Vallecano, demanding a new play-off with Elche.