LONDON – The United Kingdom’s Prince Charles has tested positive for coronavirus, Clarence House said on Wednesday.
The Prince of Wales, 71, was displaying mild symptoms “but otherwise remains in good health,” according to a palace official.
His wife the Duchess of Cornwall, 72, has tested negative for the virus.
Charles, the son of Queen Elizabeth II and heir to the British throne, has gone into self-isolation at Balmoral, a large estate owned by the royals in Aberdeenshire, Scotland.
The Queen, who recently moved to Windsor Castle, outside London, was in “good health” and last saw her son on March 12 at his most recent public engagement, according to Buckingham Palace.
Clarence House said in a statement: “In accordance with government and medical advice, the prince and the duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland.
“The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire, where they met the criteria required for testing.
“It is not possible to ascertain from whom the prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks.”
Charles had shown some mild symptoms but was otherwise in good health and has been working from home for the past few days, the official statement added.
His wife Camilla has also been tested but does not have the virus and they have both gone into isolation at Birkhall, their residence in the Balmoral estate, it continued.
The Queen, 93, and her husband the Duke of Edinburgh, 98, moved from Buckingham Palace in central London to their weekend residence Windsor last week as a precaution given their advanced ages.
Both were fine and following the advice of doctors, according to palace sources.
There have been more than 8,300 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the UK and around 430 deaths, according to data from the John Hopkins University.
A total of 140 people have recovered from the disease in the country.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced on Monday that residents have to stay in their homes for at least the next three weeks after ordering the closure of bars and restaurants on Friday.
The virus emerged in China in December and has since spread to around 170 countries with more than 430,000 global cases, of which 111,000 have recovered, and 19,600 deaths.