|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | USA

El Paso Shooting Suspect That Left 22 Dead Pleads ‘Not Guilty’

EL PASO, Texas – The suspect of a mass shooting that left tens of people dead in a Texan city last year pleaded “not guilty” Wednesday to 90 charges, among them hate crimes and murder.

Patrick Crusius, 21, appeared before magistrate judge Miguel Torres in the El Paso federal court, where federal charges against him over the Aug. 3 killing of 22 people were formally read.

“We are going to do everything in our power to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America,” David Lane, Crusius’ defense attorney told reporters.

Crusius, who didn’t speak, refused to listen to the 90 counts – including 22 of using a firearm to commit murder, 22 of committing hate crimes resulting in death, 23 of using a firearm in a crime and 23 of committing a hate crime with intention to kill. He then pleaded “not guilty” in writing.

Prior to the charge reading hearing, the defense had requested that Crusius, originally from Allen, Texas, appear unrestrained and without a uniform. The judge only allowed him to shave and dress in a suit but insisted that his hands and feet be cuffed in a session that allowed no access to cameras or microphones, but did allow relatives of the victims because it was a federal case.

“The Court finds it appropriate that the Defendant be restrained at his initial appearance … using the customary restraints used by the United States Marshals under the circumstances,” Torres wrote in an order prior to Crusius’ court appearance, adding that he posed a security risk.

The next hearing is scheduled for Feb. 18, but Lane said he would look for a way for neither him nor his client to appear.

Crusius had already pleaded “not guilty” in October last year over homicide state charges in connection with the killing.

The alleged perpetrator of the shooting, in which 22 people died and 25 others were injured, confessed to police when arrested that his goal was to kill as many Mexicans as he could. Of those killed in the incident, eight were Mexican citizens.

Crusius told police that it was he who opened fire on a crowd at a Walmart shopping center in the border city where many Mexicans often shop.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2020 © All rights reserved