LIMA – A mother and two young children died in the early hours of Christmas Day in a blaze started by fireworks in Peru.
The woman and her two children perish in flames caused by celebratory fireworks overnight on Wednesday in the Cusco region in the southwest of the country.
The fire broke out minutes after midnight, allegedly due a rocket that landed on the roof of their house, which was on the top floor of a shopping center in the Pichari district, local media reported.
There was reportedly a large amount of flammable material, such as foam mattresses and furniture, which accelerated the spread of blaze on the top of the building, in an area where there are several shops.
Emergency services arrived at the scene to remove the bodies of the victims from the site and have launched an investigation into the incident.
Another large fire broke out in the district of La Victoria, in Lima, when a bicycle store burned down in the early hours of Wednesday.
More than 30 firefighter crews were sent to the scene along with a number of ambulances to put out the flames in the historic area of the Peruvian capital, according to local media reports.
A fire service spokesman told the press that no one had not been injured or killed in the blaze in the bicycle shop and that the emergency services had brought it under control after working all morning.
Mario Casaretto, department head of firefighters in central Lima Centro, told RPP News that during the emergency the Sedapal water company was requested to activate the water pressure in the area to fight the flames.
Blazes due to falling fireworks are common in Peru, especially at this time of year during celebrations for Christmas and New Year’s Eve.
A number of municipalities and central government have introduced limited permits for the sale of these products, but emergencies due to these incidents still occur in varies cities.