|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Brazil (Click here for more)

Justice Still Not Done 4 Years after Brazil Mining Tragedy

SAO PAULO – The day of Nov. 5, 2015 changed forever the lives of the Krenak indigenous people living along the Doce River – the collapse of two dams built to contain mine tailings plunged them and thousands of other Brazilians into a state of depression that continues to this day.

Four years after the tragedy at the Samarco complex in Mariana, Minas Gerais state, most indemnities have not yet been paid and not one of the people responsible has been convicted of a crime.

The failure of the dams allowed a flood of mud and mine waste that wiped out seven hamlets and contaminated a 650-kilometer (405-mile) stretch of the Doce River. Nineteen people perished and nearly 400 families were left homeless.

Indigenous leader Ailton Krenak, 66, told EFE that from the window of his home he can still see remains of the toxic waste that came pouring out with the collapse of the Samarco dam, a 50-50 joint venture of Brazilian mining giant Vale and Anglo-Australian mining titan BHP Billiton.

“Those who didn’t die lost everything,” he says.

The entire economy that revolved around the Doce River, polluted all the way to its estuary on the Atlantic Ocean, is completely paralyzed, and the affected inhabitants of Minas Gerais and the neighboring state of Espirito Santo still suffer from the catastrophe every day.

They also continue waiting for justice to be done and are far from satisfied with the repairs started by the Renew Foundation, a private organization created to repair the damage done.

At the same time, the Environmental Policy Council of Minas Gerais authorized Samarco last month to resume its activities in Mariana.

The toxic flood from the broken dams swamped the Krenak hamlet, home to 136 indigenous families and located at some 400 km (250 mi) from the catastrophe’s epicenter.

Their lives revolve around the Doce River, which they call “grandpa.” They were accustomed to sing to it, perform rituals in its waters and generally live off of it.

“There was a terrible breakdown in our life, our daily life,” Ailton said.

“When one lives through the experience of being in front of that mudflow, it’s a huge trauma. I think that we, thousands of people in the Doce River basin, are still caught in the nightmare of that avalanche of mud,” he said.

He added that when it rains in the region, the residue left on the riverbanks returns to its course, renewing the drama once more.

The Brazilian Attorney General’s Office estimates the total number of people affected by the tragedy at around 700,000. The Renew Foundation told EFE that as of last August, some 320,000 people had received “indemnities and emergency financial aid” for a value of 1.84 billion reais ($460 million).

The foundation also said that 6.68 billion reais ($1.67 billion) have been set aside for environmental and economic recovery and compensation for the Doce River basin, and for looking after the indigenous population.

Nonetheless, a study released this year by the National Health Agency (Anvisa) proved the existence of mercury and lead in the river’s fish in an amount greater than they could tolerate.

At the same time, the reconstruction of towns wiped out is underway, though with same sort of delays as there is in seeing justice done.

There are no plans for a court trial. In 2016 a score of people were accused, but 13 of them were excluded from the process.

A court this year even dropped the charges of homicide and bodily injury from the case, so the accused will now only be charged with environmental crimes.

With the Mariana case still to be resolved, a similar tragedy, though much more deadly, occurred this year in Brumadinho, Minas Gerais.

On Jan. 25, another Vale mining dam broke down and another avalanche of mud, water and mineral waste destroyed everything in its path.

The partial toll, since the search still goes on, is 252 dead and 18 missing.

Mines and Energy Minister Bento Albuquerque said last May that “there is not one safe dam” in Brazil.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2019 © All rights reserved